Saturday, May 8, 2010

To Mom , With Love

As the world celebrates Mother’s Day, I get nostalgic about all that has passed in life and how my mom has been an integral part of it all.

So here’s a little post dedicated to my mom on Mothers Day.

The first word that comes to my mind when I think of my mom is ‘Enthusiastic’. She is probably one of the most enthusiastic people I have come across. Be it cooking a new recipe, or acting in a church play or planning a family meet for our geographically scattered family, I have seen her go about it with an enthusiasm that can be only matched by a child.

While growing up she was the force of discipline for me and my siblings. A firm believer of the ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’ philosophy, my brother and I were subject to several well deserved beatings while we were growing up. My sister, being born several years later was spared most of the spanking though there was the occasional rap on the knuckles. And today I am thankful to her for all the values she gave me which have been a guiding light to me in my journey of life.

But she is not all about discipline, she loves a good laugh and quite frankly quite filmy about things. She has some situational song always on her lips which annoys me to no end. Talking about singing, that’s something she never quite mastered, though she won’t admit it. I remember an instance when I was in junior college , my mom suddenly developed this craze to learn singing and would have her practice (riyaz). Once during her ‘riyaz’ I got a phone call from a friend, who after a few seconds asked “Who’s that screaming in the background ?’. Needless to say such uncharitable comments had no impact on the ‘Riyaz’ which continued in full swing.

As a child I was very shy, unobtrusive and retreating. But my mother through her constant preaching and nagging pulled me out of my shell and made me participate in activities and if today I have a lot of achievements and trophies in my kitty, I’d like to think mom had something to do with it.

But the greatest thing, I shall be eternally grateful to her is the faith she instilled in me. She taught me how not to ever give up on a God that never fails. And many times when I am disappointed with things and people, I often think of what my mom says. ‘He’s your Heavenly Father and He is better that your earthly parents. Talk to Him and tell Him everything.’ And whenever I do that I find my answers and peace!

So here’s wishing Happy Mother’s Day to one of the most wonderful, beautiful and unique mother in the world.

I LOVE YOU MAMMA!

4 comments:

Pradeep said...

Great write up !
Often when I read blogs, I rush through them. But, your write ups made it a steady read.
Keep penning, I feel words and pictures convey sensings beyond our imaginations..

best regards,
Pradeep

Neha said...

@Pradeep- Thanks for your appreciation. It's true what you say. Nothing like a well structured sentence or a well captured photo to convey your thoughts. BTW your photoblog is very interesting . Keep up the good work !

James said...

sob....(the sentimental)..sob..
Nicely written..

Neha said...

@Xtie- Here take this tissue and thanks :)